How to use Calligraphy Pens
Author: Dana McGorlick-Appelman Date Posted:25 March 2022
Calligraphy is as old as writing itself, it has its roots in ancient rock, pictographs and Egyptian hieroglyphs. In modern times, calligraphy is used as a form of expression with artists making beautiful words come to life. Plus it is super fun to create!
Learn how to use the Mont Marte Calligraphy Pen Set in this how-to tutorial
This calligraphy set comes with everything you need to create a range of lettering styles. The 5 traditional nibs included are ideal for Roman Round Hand, Italic, Gothic, Uncial and more! Plus, grow your skills with the introduction and exercise books inside.
Handy hint: For a smooth flow, hold your pen so that the nib is angled between 30 degrees and 45 degrees to the paper.
Care: Keep your nibs in good condition by cleaning them immediately after use.
4 x Calligraphy Pens
5 x Nib Grades
20 x Ink cartridges in various colours
Ink Pen Pump
Step- by- step
1. Install the cartridge
- Pick a nib to suit your writing style
- Insert the ink cartridge into the nib and push until you hear a click
- Screw the barrel on
2. Choose the right paper
- We recommend using a calligraphy book or smooth bleed proof paper. Copy paper is also great for practising. Draw a couple of lines to start the ink flow.
- The Mont Marte Calligraphy Workbook A4 70gsm 50 Sheet will enable you to develop and practice your calligraphy skills. It includes 70gsm natural white paper with pages printed with practice rule and a slanted grid.
3. Using a converter
- A converter allows you to use ink from a bottle. Dip the end of your converter into the ink. Pull the tip upwards to fill the cartridge. Push this into the nib until you hear a click. Screw the barrel on, then draw a couple of lines to start the ink flow.
4. Writing with your calligraphy pen
- Hold the pen at about a 45-degree angle to the page.
- TIP: Draw a baseline with a rule to help keep your lines straight while practising.
- Ink will only flow if you pull the pen downwards as you write.
Show off your calligraphy skills by tagging us on Instagram, Facebook and TikTok @artshedonline
Got questions? Send us an email at email@example.com and our friendly team of artists will do their best to assist you.